Daily Kos is the nation's largest liberal online political community, news organization, and activism hub. Powered by millions of dedicated activists, we're transforming media and organizing by empowering regular Americans to reshape politics.
We are seeking a passionate Infrastructure Engineer who will deliver new features in the Services team on a large Rails application. This person must be efficient, self-motivated, and capable of working with limited guidance.
Daily Kos is an exciting workplace! Our site is used by hundreds of thousands of people a day who care deeply about progressive politics and are working to affect real political change. We provide an extensive feature set that extends from blogging to activism and beyond, built on top of a modern tool chain that includes Rails, React, Varnish, Nginx, RDS/MySQL, PostgreSQL, and AWS. We have an energized team of great people with diverse backgrounds and skill sets. If you're interested in a position that offers more than just a technical challenge, we'd love to hear from you.
- Build scalable high-quality backend services and productivity tools
- Proactively work to identify areas for performance gains including data and scaling challenges.
- Partner with the engineering team in building best-in-class interface
- Share on-call responsibilities with team
- Remain current on test, development, and deployment best practices
- Be a team player, share knowledge, and mentor other team members through pairing, feedback, and discussions, etc.
- 3+ years of experience developing ci/cd pipelines, debugging distributed systems, building and maintaining environments from local through production and building robust monitoring systems.
- Solid knowledge and experience in data infrastructure.
- Experience with AWS (or other major public cloud infrastructure) deployments, RDS, ElastiCache
- Experience with Terraform
- Experience with Kubernetes @ scale
- Exceptional operational troubleshooting capabilities
- Interest in working on monitoring systems for backend which is currently written in Ruby.
- Strong linux skills
- Ability to thrive in a small team culture with lots of agency requiring strong self-discipline, time management, and strong communication skills.
The above list is a set of highly desired attributes; we will evaluate each candidate as a whole. Tell us about your unique skills, experiences (especially outage stories/interesting problems), and attributes that you can bring to such a role that we may be missing and why it would be a benefit to the organization. In your cover letter please share what work problems have kept you busy solving and why or what research papers, blog posts, conference talks, or screenshots have provided you intellectual stimulation recently in this area, and why.
This position is a 40 hour/week, full-time exempt position and reports to the Managing Staff Engineer. Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States. The position offers a flexible work environment, the ability to work remotely or from home, competitive salary, excellent benefits including: full medical, dental and vision benefits, optional 401K with a company match, professional development stipend, a generous vacation package, as well as employer-paid maternity/family leave. Our organizational commitment to personal growth and work-life balance reduces churn and encourages a very rewarding long term position.
At Daily Kos, we believe that the diversity of ideas, experiences, and cultures that our employees contribute to our organization help us be more effective activists, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We have a team of amazing people with different backgrounds and talents that are energized by the day's news events, and people united by common cause. We're a company that loves learning and supports growth and training for all our employees.
Women, people of color, and LGBTQIA individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records