You will deliver dramatic, lasting improvements to the world’s largest organizations on their most important DevOps challenges. You will develop deep technical expertise on VMware Tanzu products and Kubernetes to help client teams build, manage, and scale modern application platforms. Successful Platform Teams need more than just tools and technology - you’ll help teams transform the way they approach Platform and Site Reliability Engineering, adopting processes and practices that help solve user problems and unlock business value.
This role will appeal to those who value:
- Close collaboration with customers
- Continuous feedback through the delivery of small iterations of working software
- Building platforms with end-users in mind
- Investing time to learn - and share - new technologies and ways of working
What is the primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?
The VMware Tanzu Labs Platform Services team is responsible for accelerating customer adoption of emerging technologies and our cloud-native platforms. We help our customers deliver business outcomes using a product-centric balanced team and a streamlined pathway to production, freeing application teams to deliver value to their customers.
Our Product Managers and Solution Architects work directly with customer counterparts to transfer knowledge, culture, and practices.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
We need someone who is motivated to learn more about Kubernetes and the cloud-native landscape of technologies, building on their current skills and experience to solve problems and deliver outcomes with VMware Tanzu customers. You’ll be supported by our team every step of the way.
- You will achieve business outcomes on multiple customer engagements, leading to great customer feedback.
- You will possess deep knowledge of the VMware Tanzu portfolio of products and be able to teach customers to adopt them successfully.
- You will drive improvements in the team’s collective knowledge, practices and tooling to help us iterate on our practices for future engagements.
- You will complete the Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA) exam within your first year.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
You’ll work with customers on engagements as part of a small team, either at the customer’s office across Europe or remotely. You can choose to work remotely from home or from a VMware office. Engagements typically are 2-6 weeks, but can last up to 3 months. Between client engagements, you’ll work with others in our team on internal initiatives and invest time in personal learning goals.
Note: Due to COVID-19, this role is currently 100% remote, with the expectation that face-to-face engagement with customers will be required once the crisis is resolved. At a future date, you may be expected to travel up to 50% of the time.
Your work will include:
- Deployment and optimization of complex platform infrastructure architectures
- Helping advance customer thinking and awareness within the Cloud Native space
- Installing and optimizing Kubernetes clusters and dependencies
- Participating during pre-delivery Discovery Workshops with customers to refine proposed solutions
- Establishing continuous delivery pipelines for deployment of Tanzu and related platform products in a customer’s infrastructure
- Working with customer platform engineers to minimize and automate toil through adoption of Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) Practices
- Designing and implement continuous integration and continuous delivery processes to deliver customer apps to production, fostering a culture of continuous process improvement
- Providing operational assistance and guidance for Tanzu platform products including; monitoring, management, disaster recovery, security compliance/auditing, networking, storage, service brokers and build packs
- Working with customer platform teams to establish Service Level Objectives (SLOs), Recovery Point Objectives (RPOs), and Recovery Time Objectives (RTOs) for their offerings, along with associated monitoring
- Continuously learning and be at the leading edge of VMware and wider industry trends
- Helping with pre-sales, conferences and general Kubernetes evangelism as time permits
What is leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
We’re a supportive team with a passion for learning and sharing our knowledge. Although our work may be technical we get the greatest sense of achievement from helping to build platform teams with our customers. We bring our culture with us when we partner with customers supporting them as they gain new skills, build their confidence and set them up for long term success with sustainable processes and practices.