Verdigris is on a mission to sustain and enrich human life through responsive energy intelligence. Our AI sensors automate energy management and predict unseen equipment failures in mission-critical buildings. This is a critical step for autonomous, sustainable environments responsive to their inhabitants.
You are interested in solving technical problems that have a positive impact on the world. You are looking to build visionary, scalable, and efficient data pipelines. You are a team-minded software expert who will refine our tech stack, our engineering culture, and impact our portfolio of mission-critical buildings. You can work from anywhere and stay productive--working fully remote is acceptable as long as you can pair for at least 3 or 4 hours with the team in San Francisco during a normal working day.
About the Role
As a Senior Data Engineer at Verdigris you will be part of the team responsible for building the core platform and services to enable machine learning and data applications. This is a software engineering role and not a tool operator role. Your primary responsibility is to help mentor our team to produce a robust API and platform as a foundation for all other applications.
About the Software Team
Comprised of embedded/hardware, ML/data scientists and Full-stack engineers, the Software Team's mission is to acquire high fidelity data from our sensors to help customers enhance operational efficiency and manage energy while fighting climate change. We organize as an agile workflow in 2 week sprints.
- As a senior member of the team your responsibilities will include contributing to our engineering practices, pairing culture, and organizational processes in your team, and across our entire company
- You will help design and own our Kubernetes cluster.
- You will teach and learn within a global team of continuously improving engineers
- You will enhance our agile engineering practices and pairing culture
- You will build and maintain RESTful APIs, cloud infrastructure and data platform for managing energy usage in buildings across the globe.
- You will help us setup scalable enterprise-grade infrastructure for running thousands of Machine Learning jobs with AWS Lambda and Batch
- You will help us develop the foundations of products that deliver insightful data to our customers
- You will work across teams with product managers and customer teams to build deep customer empathy and prioritize work that delivers meaningful customer outcomes.
- You will write tests and tools to monitor, triage, integrate, and repair our production environment
- You'll perform all necessary technical engineering skills to help meet the team and company goals.
- You hold a bachelors degree (BS, BA/AB) in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or equivalent
- You have at least 3-5 years full time industry experience in software engineering
- You are an expert in Kubernetes
- You are experienced in middleware, modern back-end frameworks (NGINX, Node.js, Terraform, etc.)
- You have experience coding in Python or Node.
- You have experience in the full release cycle of a commercial product
- You have experience with relational databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL, MSSQL, etc.) and understand the trade-offs between different schemas and architectures.
Nice to Haves
- You hold graduate degrees (MS or Ph.D.) in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or equivalent
- You are experienced in cloud computing environments (AWS, AliCloud, Azure, GCP)
- You embrace paired programming, test driven development and continuous integration
- You learn continuously and are passionate about software development
- You listen actively and build consensus
- You empathize strongly with customer problems
- You communicate complex concepts simply
- You have experience leading and mentoring teams
Applying to Verdigris is a chance to make an impact by joining a mission-driven startup. We're aggressively innovating for the energy management industry hoping to affect climate change. Verdigrisians aim to be ego-free authorities in our fields. We take our work seriously and strive for an opportunity-filled environment supportive of curious minds.
You can expect thoughtful, hardworking and funny teammates. When we are not sheltering-in-place, you can usually find someone to tour our historic NASA campus or make hummus or play "Among Us" with. We value differing perspectives and embrace candid, direct, and constant feedback. We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, origin, gender, orientation, age, or status.