Avalara, Inc., (www.Avalara.com), is the leading provider of cloud-based software that delivers a broad array of compliance solutions related to sales tax and other transactional taxes.
What is it like to work at Avalara? Come find out! We are committed to the following success traits that embody our culture and how we work together to accomplish great things: Fun. Passion. Adaptability. Urgency. Simplicity. Curiosity. Humility. Ownership. Optimism.
We are building cloud-based tax compliance solutions to handle every transaction in the world. Imagine every transaction you make - every tank of gas, cup of coffee, or pair of sneakers, every movie ticket, or streamed song, every sensor-to-sensor ping. Nearly every time you make a purchase, physical or digital, there is an accompanying unique and nuanced tax compliance calculation.
At Avalara,we are building the global cloud compliance platform and the Reliability Engineering Cloud Infrastructure Platform team is developing the next generation infrastructure platform that our products and services operate on. Our engineering teams are diverse in their engineering practices, culture, and background. We are building an Infrastructure Platform that aims to reduce friction, increase agility, predictability, and provide the necessary flexibility and control to engineering teams while maintaining a very high operational bar.
As a Reliability Engineer, you will be part of a team responsible for the design, architecture, and operations of our next generation cross platform and multi cloud platform as a service. Our focus is to tap into the power of software engineering for solving technical and organizational problems that concern infrastructure.
This might be a good fit for you, if…
- writing clean, readable, testable, and performant code gives you joy,
- translating unknowns into knowns excites you,
- reading a distributed systems paper is your thing,
- once, twice, automate resonates with you
- releases equals progress to you
Some broad areas of work are…
- Streamlining Kubernetes operations across multiple cloud providers.
- Mature the organization's tooling to standardize deploy practices and move towards a globally distributed infrastructure.
- Tools and education that will help teams migrate from their existing container ecosystem to Kubernetes.
- Conduct workshops to evangelize and educate about the infrastructure platform.
- Proactively work with other SRE teams within the org to identify potential integration areas that are a source of friction and eliminate them.
Here's how a typical week looks like:
You will be spending your time in no particular order or ratio on the following…
- Managing/Administering Kubernetes related changes across multiple cloud providers.
- Building tools for the cloud infrastructure platform using Go, Python, or Terraform to automate away things.
- On-boarding feature development teams.
- Troubleshoot and support the platform
You have a background in…
- Networking: A good understanding of the OSI model, TCP/IP, and DNS; particularly as it relates to cloud environments.
- Linux Fundamentals: Solid experience with the administration, security hardening, and performance tuning of one or more distributions of Linux.
- Troubleshooting : A passion for tracking down technical root causes of distributed systems, and software.
- Observability: Experience with developing service level indicators and objectives, instrumenting software, and building alerts.
- Software Engineering: An understanding of software engineering fundamentals with experience developing software with a team of engineers. Strong experience in the practice of testing.
- Automation: A strong desire to automate all of the things and eliminate toil.
- Containers: A solid understanding of the underpinnings of container technology such as cgroups and namespaces.
- Container Orchestration Systems: Experience with the operations, administration, and development of orchestration systems such as Kubernetes, ECS, Mesos, Nomad.
- Infrastructure-as-Code: Experience with deploying and maintaining infrastructure as code with tools such as Terraform, Pulumi.
- Technical Writing: Most of the services we develop are greenfield, and you will need to build documentation and diagrams for other engineering teams.
- Customer Satisfaction: Keen eye for customer satisfaction (our customers are other engineering teams and avalara customers).
- Passion for Learning: Interest in the broader technology space with a constant desire to expand your understanding.
- Adaptability: Experience working on a variety of projects. In short, we want people with T-shaped skills.
You stand out from the crowd if you have …
- Kubernetes: Experience with the operations and administration of Kubernetes
- Go: Experience developing non trivial software with Go
- Distributed Computing: Experience architecting, developing, and deploying distributed services across regions and clouds.
- Technical Writing : writing technical documents that people love and adore.
- Open Source: Build side-projects or contribute to other open-source projects.
- Minimum of 8 years experience in a SaaS environment
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Ability to participate in an on-call rotation