Grofers is leading the charge in transforming India's vast, unorganised grocery landscape through cutting-edge technology and innovation. We believe every Indian deserves the opportunity to continually improve their life – a process that often begins at home. As part of our mission of helping consumers make healthier, better choices when buying everyday products, we make a wide range of high-quality grocery and household products accessible, affordable, and available right at their doorsteps.
Built on a proprietary technology stack, the Grofers platform serves as a convergence of consumers looking for everyday essentials, partner stores who serve their needs efficiently, and manufacturers looking for a channel to reach a nation of consumers. While our technology caters to the burgeoning population of urban India, it is ready and poised to serve the next 100+ million Indians who are yet to start shopping online.
We believe the ecosystem we power can transform the lives of a billion Indians significantly over the coming decade. They will have access to everyday essentials like groceries at the best value, be able to discover products that improve their health and wellbeing, and spend more meaningful time with their families – with the assurance that their essential needs are being looked after by us. On the other side of this virtuous cycle are the millions of local businesses catering to a nation's needs, helping create more opportunities for employment, growth, and above all, a better life.
It's a $600 Billion challenge to solve, which is why we are looking at hiring smart, articulate and ambitious individuals to be a part of the team building the future at Grofers. If this seems exciting to you, join us! Read more about us here.
Why you will love working with us:
- Customer love: We always put the interests of customers ahead of our own. We work hard to earn and keep their trust, and to bring them delight
- Bias for action: We dream big, take risks and have a strong bias for action. In difficult situations we make sound decisions and take thoughtful action
- Frugality: We are always looking for ways to do more with less - by creating the highest leverage possible with our time, as well as resources
- Confidence: We are tenacious and optimistic, and do not take no for an answer. Our people are quietly confident and openly humble
- Challenge status-quo: We are candid, authentic and transparent. We speak our mind, make connections that others miss and take smart risks
- Learner's mindset: We keep learning and evolving to be able to meet our audacious goal of empowering every Indian to lead a better life
About the Infrastructure team:
Grofers technology platform comprises hundreds of microservices written using polyglot stack and built by over fifteen different engineering teams. The infrastructural needs of these microservices and teams varies and is evolving rapidly with our growing business. From secure inter-service communication to resilience built in our microservices from the ground up, there are multiple touch points for the infrastructure platform to simplify adoption of engineering practices that enable us to deliver high quality software while not losing our agility and speed.
Infrastructure team is responsible for building the infrastructure platform as a product that we provide to engineers at Grofers, like Kubernetes, Prometheus, Jaeger, Grafana, Consul, Vault, Postgres, Kafka, Redis, etc. These products make the lives of engineers easy so that they can focus on business value and adopt DevOps practices easily.
About the role
As an SDE III in the infrastructure team, you will be responsible for building infrastructure platforms as products incorporating efficient development and operations workflows to enable fast delivery of reliable software. You will be working closely with engineers on product teams as your stakeholders - you will be building for them and constantly incorporating their feedback in your development. You will also be responsible for working with product engineering teams to provide expertise on subjects such as infrastructure management, resilience, scalability, cost reduction, incident management, etc.
As a senior on the team, you will be expected to manage and execute technical projects and migrations, design and implement infrastructure management policies, grow engineers technically, do necessary R&D for larger technical changes and build alignment for technical decisions within the team as well as with stakeholder across other teams , and come up with new initiatives to improve the DevOps culture at Grofers.
We're looking for people who have been developers and have a strong background and interest in systems. We'd love to hear from you whether you're a seasoned systems developer, or whether you've just learned you might like working with databases.
What you will do everyday:
- Solve complex Cloud Infrastructure problems
- Drive DevOps culture in the tech organization by working with engineering and product teams
- Be a trusted technical advisor to developers and help them architect scalable, robust, and highly-available systems
- Collaborate with developers to help them learn how to run and maintain systems in production
- Drive a culture of CI/CD. Find bottlenecks in the software delivery pipeline. Fix bottlenecks with developers to help them deliver working software faster. Develop and maintain infrastructure solutions for automation, alerting, monitoring, and agility
- Evaluate cutting edge technologies and build PoCs, feasibility reports, and implementation strategies
- Create and deliver best practices recommendations, tutorials, blog articles, sample code, and technical presentations adapting to different levels of key business and technical stakeholders
- Work with engineering teams to identify and remove infrastructure bottlenecks enabling them to move fast.
- Mentor and grow young engineers on the team technically to become better at the craft of infrastructure engineering
EXPERTISE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Skills you need to do the job:
- B.Tech. / B.E. degree in Computer Science or equivalent software engineering degree / experience
- 6+ years of infrastructure development and operations experience
- Experience in maintaining internet facing production-grade applications in cloud environments
- Strong programming experience in one or more languages such as Python, Go, and/or Bash. It is important to us that you have worked as a developer before
- Proficiency with Git or a similar version control system
- Experience in solving problems and working with a team to resolve large-scale production issues
- Experience in system administration tasks in Linux or Unix and familiarity with standard IT security practices (such as encryption, certificates, key management)
- Good understanding of standard networking protocols and components such as HTTP, DNS, TCP/IP, the OSI Model, networking and load balancing
- Experience and deep understanding of at least one open-source distributed system (such as RabbitMQ, Kafka, Redis, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, etc.)
- Experience with Containers and Container Orchestration systems (such as Kubernetes, Docker Swarm etc) and cloud-native technologies (such as Helm, Skaffold, Draft, Telepresence, Jenkins X, etc.)
- Experience with using and operating logging and monitoring systems (like ELK, Graylog, InfluxDB, Prometheus, Grafana, Jaeger, etc.)
- Experience with configuration management, deployment and orchestration technologies (such as Ansible, Puppet, Chef, Docker, Kubernetes, Helm, Skaffold, Jenkins etc)
- Experience with cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure or GCP. We use AWS
Good to have:
- Experience with scalable networking technologies (such as Load Balancers, Firewalls), web standards (like REST APIs, web security mechanisms) and relatively newer communication protocols (like GRPC, Thrift, GraphQL, etc.)
- Experience of using and operating systems (such as Postgres or MySQL)
- Have contributed to opensource (however basic that might be)
Excited? You will be, once you visit our Engineering Blog where you can deep dive into all the cool stuff that our engineers have been working on.