Defense Unicorns delivers mission value by streamlining software delivery so our customers can focus on the most important challenges. We share a vision of freedom and security for the advancement of progress and innovation. Our commitment to this vision, and to our mission-driven customers, means a commitment to speed, user experience and optionality, without compromising security. Our team is composed of innovators, software engineers, and veterans with decades of experience delivering technology programs across the federal market.
More about us:
What We Do:
- We create and deliver secure solutions for continuous software integration and delivery.
- Defense Unicorns consolidates the best practices for security pipelines, testing, and deployment automation in order to meet the high security requirements valued by mission owners.
- Our solutions are agnostic by design and we believe that growing a robust ecosystem of secure, cloud-native software solutions can help enterprise customers inside and outside the federal market buy and integrate software more easily.
Who We Serve:
- Defense Unicorns' customers are mission-focused leaders across public and private enterprises.
- We proudly support defense and civil agencies across the U.S. government and we work closely with the creators of leading-edge software solutions to deliver value to the mission-owner by improving the security and consumability of commercial software products.
What We Work On:
- Cloud Environments (AWS/GCP and Azure)
- Infrastructure-as-code (like Terraform/Pulumi)
- Continuous Delivery and automation tooling
- CNCF projects and open source products and packages
- Helm/Kustomize-Value Stream Mapping
- Building and improving security delivery
- Building Kubernetes and cloud native applications
What You'll Be Responsible for:
- Design and implement declarative Infrastructure as Code (IaC) and Configuration as Code (CaC) as part of an integrated tech stack
- Automate, build, and deploy for IaC and CaC in CI/CD pipeline using tools such as Terraform, Terragrunt, and Terratest
- Work collaboratively across several teams to seamlessly integrate tools into "push-button" deployment capabilities
- Lead tradeoff discussions on benefits of using cyber-secure tools
- Lead value-add contributions to build/maintenance of EKS & RKE2 instantiations
- Plan and execute paths for customers to adopt and implement cyber-secure approaches
- Help advise and drive those decisions as well as experiment with the latest tech in the infrastructure engineering space
- Communicate your work to domain and non-domain experts through your writing, presentations, and training sessions
- Assist in developing an automated security framework for robust deployment tools and processes, leveraging various scripting languages and open source solutions
Qualifications For A Candidate May Include:
- Extensive experience with cloud deployments (experience with air-gapped deployments preferred)
- Extensive experience simplifying and automating deployments with a propensity to lead teams towards quality delivery/sustainment options
- Experience with security automation (preferred)
- Familiarity with API Security, Container Security, AWS Cloud Security
- Familiarity with Information Security frameworks/standard: (e.g. ISO/IEC 27001:2013, CSA CCM, NIST CSF, HMG SPF and Cyber Essentials)
- Firm grasp of AWS cloud infrastructure design, aligning security, performance, and resilience
- Familiarity with cloud native technologies such as Kubernetes, AWS, and Docker
- Experience implementing and testing security policies and have a working knowledge of commonly used web infrastructure and tools
- Experience in secure software design and architecture, monitoring, and performance instrumentation
- Experience on subjects like continuous delivery, distributed architectures and systems, everything-as-code, containerization, DevSecOps, and cloud services
- Comfort debugging systems and reading/writing code
- Understanding of Incident, Problem, Change and Release management processes using GitOps and other DevSecOps principles
- Knowledge of secure coding practices including OWASP, secrets management, and vulnerability remediation
- Solid interpersonal skills and a desire to improve quality of life for IT Sys Admins in constrained environments
The selected candidate will be subject to a pre-employment background check (“CBI”) and must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret-level DoD security clearance (Top Secret preferred).
Benefits Our Unicorns Enjoy:
- Premiums are 100% Company Paid
- Health Reimbursement Account
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Annual Salary Range: $150,000 to $170,000
- 401k with Employer Contribution (Regardless of Employee Contribution)
- Company Stock Options
- Home Office Setup Budget
- Unlimited paid time off, with a mandatory 10 days off on top of 11 federal government holidays, week of Thanksgiving, last two weeks of December (including New Year's Day)
- Paid Parental Leave
- Reimbursement for approved trainings/subscriptions
- Conferences (travel, lodging, and fees)
Defense Unicorns is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.