Storyblocks is a different kind of content company delivering a fresh approach to meet the creative needs of a new generation of storytellers. Built on the belief that all stories deserve a chance to be told, Storyblocks provides video, audio, images and easy to use creative tools through its unique subscription model. By offering unlimited downloads and continually adding fresh content, Storyblocks challenges the paradigm that your ambitious vision requires deep pockets. We are committed to empowering storytellers by removing creative barriers and democratizing video creation.
Who You Are:
As the Senior Director of Platform Engineering & Core Services, you will be responsible for leading two teams of 8-12 engineers in the design, development, and maintenance of Storyblocks' engineering platform and core services.
You will be a key member of the engineering leadership team reporting to the CTO, working closely with other technical leaders to ensure that our platform is scalable, secure, reliable, and supports developer productivity. This role can be based out of the Washington, DC metropolitan area or can be remote, anywhere in the US.
What You'll Do:
- Lead two teams of 8-12 engineers, including managers of people, in the design, development, and maintenance of Storyblocks' platform and core services.
- Improve developer productivity through platform engineering, automation, and tooling, enabling our developers to build and ship software faster and more efficiently.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to the platform and core services teams, focusing on architecture, security, and core systems.
- Collaborate with other technical leaders to develop and implement the overall technical strategy for Storyblocks.
- Establish and enforce engineering standards and best practices across the platform and core services teams, with a focus on scalability, security, and reliability.
- Work closely with product management to ensure that the platform and core services meet the needs of our customers and business objectives.
- Manage the platform and core services teams, including hiring, mentoring, and performance management of managers of people.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders across the organization, including other engineering teams, product management, and executive leadership.
- Ensure that the platform and core services teams are operating efficiently and effectively, and continuously identify areas for improvement.
- Drive innovation and thought leadership within the platform and core services teams, staying up-to-date with industry trends and emerging technologies.
- Ensure that the platform and core systems are designed with security in mind, and that our security standards are continuously improved and implemented across the organization.
- Provide technical guidance and support to other engineering teams as needed, collaborating with them to ensure that their systems are well-architected and secure.
- Manage and optimize the company's AWS infrastructure, leveraging best practices and automation to ensure reliability, scalability, and cost efficiency.
- Ensure that the company's AWS architecture and infrastructure comply with AWS best practices and guidelines.
- Ensure that the company is compliant with SOC2 security requirements, and drive ongoing improvements to our security posture.
What You Bring to the Table:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- At least 10 years of experience in software development, with a focus on platform engineering, architecture, security, and core systems.
- Experience leading multiple teams of engineers and technical professionals, including managers of people.
- Strong understanding of software development methodologies, tools, and processes.
- Demonstrated success in designing and implementing scalable, secure, and reliable platforms and core services.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Strong experience in AWS infrastructure management and optimization, with a focus on reliability, scalability, and cost efficiency.
- Strong experience in Kubernetes and containerization, with a focus on well-designed and maintained Kubernetes architecture.
- Strong understanding of AWS architecture best practices and guidelines.
- Strong experience in SOC2 security compliance and driving ongoing improvements to our security posture.
What We Bring to the Table:
- Competitive and fair compensation: We believe in fair pay--equal pay for equal work. For each title, we consistently apply competitive salary bands based on market data and benchmarks which are reviewed twice a year. What you've been paid before, fear of conflict, or willingness to negotiate does not play a part in determining your pay.
- The annual base salary range for this position is $259,000 - $304,500. Placement within the range is determined by a variety of factors, including but not limited to: knowledge, skills, years & depth of experience, and equity with internal team members. Total compensation for this position includes an annual performance bonus and equity.
- 401(k) retirement plan: We offer both a Traditional and Roth 401(k) with a company match.
- Company-paid medical: Our medical, dental and vision premiums are covered 100% for you and your dependents.
- Paid parental leave: Welcoming new family members is exciting, but it can also be challenging. We offer twelve weeks paid leave for primary caregivers and four weeks for secondary caregivers. We have a dedicated private space available to breast/chest feeding employees.
- Unlimited vacation: At Storyblocks we take vacation seriously. That means take the time off when you need it. Don't worry about tracking hours or accounting for partial days. Typically, employees take about three or four weeks each year. Plus, two company-wide week breaks in July and December as well as numerous Fridays off throughout the year to take advantage of 3-day weekends.
- Workplace benefits and perks: Whether you work in our offices in Arlington, VA or anywhere else across the US, we have you covered. Fully stocked office kitchen? Check. Home office stipend for hybrid and remote workers? Check. Commuter stipend for office workers? Check. Company and team events? Check.
- Flexible work options: Much of our workflow is online, and for in office meetings, we have dedicated video-conferencing setups. As long as you deliver results, you are welcome to get your work done during unusual times when desired.
- Company-sponsored mentorship and growth: We encourage attending meetups and are happy to host them as well. We also have a leadership coach, on staff, available to all employees to enhance your professional development.
- Employee perks: We help employees maintain work-life balance and honor their contributions to the organization by offering resources such as a financial wellness program, a subscription service that offers unlimited deliveries from thousands of eligible restaurants with $0 delivery, and a recognition and rewards program that celebrates their accomplishments.
- Casual Work Environment: Sure we all get dressed up once in a while, but in general we want you to be comfortable at the office – whatever that means to you (flip-flops, shorts, jeans, etc.).
Who We Are:
Driven by a set of six company core values, our culture is shaped by a love for data, empowered communication, community, telling authentic stories, an embrace of ownership, and everyone emptying the dishwasher (both literally and figuratively).
Headquartered in Arlington, Virginia, Storyblocks has been recognized as one of Washington D.C.'s Top Workplaces by The Washington Post, among the Best Places to Work by the Washington Business Journal, and by the Washingtonian as one of DC's 50 Great Places to Work.