Street addresses weren’t designed for 2023. They aren’t accurate enough to specify building entrances, and they don’t exist for parks, rural areas and many parts of the world. This makes it hard to find places and causes problems and inefficiencies on a global scale.
That’s why we created what3words. We divided the world into 3m squares and gave each square a unique combination of three words. It’s the easiest way to find and share precise locations.
Life on the what3words tech team is innovative, Agile and fast-paced. You’ll be joining a group of talented people from all over the world on an unprecedented journey. Every day brings new challenges, and we are continually learning.
Who We’re Looking For
We’re looking for an experienced DevOps Engineer passionate about writing code, infrastructure, networking, automation, modern CI/CD, cloud native platforms and monitoring. Someone who is experienced with creating and scaling robust, secure and highly available infrastructure platforms and is able to work in autonomy or as part of a team.
At what3words, we're proud of our tech stack. We have built a scalable, microservices-based architecture, based around Kubernetes on AWS. You'll be exposed to technologies such as AWS, GCP, Terraform, Kubernetes, Helm, Kustomize, Consul, Datadog, Python, Docker, CircleCI, GitHub, FluxCD, Atlantis and Slack.
This is a great opportunity to join a collaborative, ambitious and Agile team, at one of the most exciting times in this company's life.
This role will focus primarily on the maintenance of our core infrastructure and platform, which host our applications, help create tooling for engineers to use to interact with the platform and continually improve our DevOps process and toolchain.
- AWS experience (EKS, S3, Lambda, Cloudfront, RDS)
- Container services (Kubernetes, Docker, Kustomize)
- Infrastructure as code (Ansible, Terraform, Terragrunt)
- Linux system administration
- Scripting (Bash, Python)
- Experience with CI/CD (we use GitOps, GitHub actions, CircleCI and Flux)
- Networking fundamentals
- Systems/Network/Platform security
- Observability platforms (Prometheus, Datadog, New Relic, Grafana)
- Kubernetes Service Mesh (Consul, Istio, Linkerd)
You will have:
- Excellent communication skills with perfect spoken and written English
- Ability to work independently on significant features over several sprints seeing work through shipping
- Able to work directly with PMs/QA/client teams to define requirements
- Keen to own things and work end-to-end on features
- The ability to work both independently and with others
- A focus on high-quality software engineering work and attention to detail
- The ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
Sponsorship is available for candidates requiring a UK work visa*
****Equality, Diversity And Inclusion At What3words
**Our mission is to help everyone talk about everywhere, and we believe diverse perspectives make for a better company and better products too. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups and are committed to equality and inclusivity in our hiring processes and company culture.
**We offer the following benefits to all permanent employees of what3words:
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working
- 6 week remote working (work from anywhere) policy
- 25 days holiday: plus the option to buy more!
- Share options
- Private health and dental insurance
- Annual health assessments
- Life insurance
- Wellbeing Days
- Yulife perks and rewards
- Generous parental leave policies
- Family friendly policies
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- Season ticket loans
- Cycle to work scheme
- Lunch & learn sessions
- Office perks; free breakfast, snacks & regular team lunches
- Sports and hobbies clubs
- Dog friendly office